You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-11-09] Bayern Munich vs FC Augsburg

Discussions on the German Bundesliga matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Bayern Munich will win
100%
It will end in a draw
No votes
FC Augsburg will win
No votes

Total votes : 18

Re: [2013-11-09] Bayern Munich vs FC Augsburg

Postby Badger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 am

My viewing delays are getting worse. I saw this Bayern v Augsburg game only last night, after returning from a long weekend break. Initially, I felt that it wouldn’t be worth commenting on the match at this late stage but, after watching it, I thought that there were many positives in it and it was worth a comment or two.

Overall, I could hardly believe afterwards that Bayern’s possession was only 72% (source = Sky) as Augsburg seemed to have the ball very rarely and, when they did have it, their possession lasted for only 1-2 passes. Nor was this a particularly bad Augsburg team. They played like a solid mid-table team , and chased hard to recover possession, but it wasn’t enough. Bayern had class and control from start to finish.

One of the great pleasures was the three defenders. As is usual when Bayern have a lot of possession, they morphed into a 3-4-3 formation, and the back row of Boateng-Martinez-Dante looked formidable. They all had good games, but the work-horse effort and style of Martinez was particularly praiseworthy.

It makes me wonder where Martinez and Lahm will ultimately play. Just last week, I read that Guardiola explained some of his reasons for playing Lahm there as “you should always play your best players in midfield”. That is an interesting view, which I don’t entirely agree or disagree with, and it leaves me wondering how far Guardiola will take it.

And in the same context, I am delighted to see Rafinha getting a new lease of life and having a few good games. I think he has repaid Guardiola’s confidence in him very well, and he has made very few mistakes in his games this season. True, the question remains about whether Robben with Lahm behind him would present a stronger right-wing attack, something like the level of Ribery-Alaba on the left wing, whose understanding and interplay against Augsburg was absolutely superb. Some of the close play was among the best I’ve seen from Bayern this season.

Goetze got some criticism, and it is true that he did lose the ball rather tamely 1-2 times and didn’t really achieve much in attack, but I thought that he didn’t play badly overall; he played well enough to worry and distract the defenders, his close play against a tight defence was among the best and he integrated with the team very well, so for these less noticeable reasons he deserved some credit.

Mandzukic was all over the pitch, and deserved to be on the scoresheet. Interestingly, he wasn’t subbed out either, but got a full 90 min. I think that Guardiola now attaches a lot of importance to Mandzukic’s contribution. And talking of subs, I thought that Kirchhoff had a good 10 min at the end. That was a great shot Kirchhoff made after the cut back from Ribery. It was on target, well-placed and powerful – just a pity that the keeper got it.

I miss Schweinsteiger – largely because he embodies Bayern more than anyone. He is Mr. Bayern. Kroos deputised well, though, with a lot of the play going through him. I don’t claim that Kroos is a complete and direct replacement for Schweinsteiger, but I would say that I’d worry a little about a game where neither of them played. Kroos didn’t pass with quite his usual accuracy on Saturday; there were a few sloppy passes, but he still did a great job and made a few killer passes, especially a couple to Robben late on in the game.

Neuer? Never saw him. Was he playing on Saturday?

I think that Bayern haven’t any undue cause for worries just now. The fact that they are winning 3-0 rather than 6-0 or 7-0 is, generally speaking, more a case of opponents coming prepared for the worst and having better defences than last year, than having anything to do with a drop in Bayern’s standard. Scoring three goals against any of them is very good.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: [2013-11-09] Bayern Munich vs FC Augsburg

Postby Firefox1234 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Badger wrote:I think that Bayern haven’t any undue cause for worries just now. The fact that they are winning 3-0 rather than 6-0 or 7-0 is, generally speaking, more a case of opponents coming prepared for the worst and having better defences than last year, than having anything to do with a drop in Bayern’s standard. Scoring three goals against any of them is very good.

Great review! But i feel like Bayern fans exaggerate how many times Bayern would win by 4 or more goals....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Previous

Return to Bundesliga