You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

New feature: Thanks for posts

Announcements for new BayernForum.com features

Re: Official forum suggestion & support thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm

MUTU wrote:This is just what I meant.

Ah, ok. I misunderstood your post
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: MSG for new members of this forum!

Postby Fritz Walter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 pm

MUTU wrote:
Fritz Walter wrote:dumbun

dumbun = dumb'un = dumb one :P :P

I see what you mean regarding karma as opposed to like/thanks. One is user-related and the other is post-related. The thing is that having two of them at the same time is not a good idea. Perhaps I could see if there's an update to the karma mod, recommend it or make one myself that would show the karma points that that particular thread received (since when you click on the karma button next to a post, it ties the karma to the post). This way they would be integrated :)

That's very good idea MUTU.
Hoeness raus
Fritz Walter
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Birthday

Postby dambun » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Fritz Walter wrote:That's very good idea MUTU.

:twisted: which one??? the "dumb one"?? :mrgreen: :P :lol:

---
Thanks Mutu... You see... that's what I meant...
And I still think you can consider the "like/dislike" button as a separate thing....

Because giving a user a karma point for a post does not necessarily mean that we are in favor of the content of that particular comment... For example, I have given ballackfcb a karma point for his unconditional love towards Ballack, even though some of his posts are more funny than realistic, but still, I think It makes this forum a nicer place and I like it... so I give him a karma point for that...

Or, I have give Element a karma point because of his support and stubbornness on Adler, even though I always thought Neuer is a better option for Bayern, because that was something that added to the beauty/heat of the forum.... and deserved a karma point IMO....
---
Plus you can see that a user's number of comments is of a quite different exponential order compared to his karma points, which shows that the Karma concept is being considered different by users compared to a "like" or "agree" button....
---

I really don't know much about web programming, so I have no idea how easy/hard it may be to add such an option... So I don't like you to think I'm putting a burden on you by saying this... It' just an idea that came to me, that I think can really improve our forum... i.e., only food for thought :)
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iran

Postby MUTU » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Fritz Walter wrote:I think (from experience in other forums) one of the problems here is that there is no "thanks" button or at least I can't see that.another is that finding recent post and answering them is somehow difficult and inconvenient.
I don't know a lot about web designing and maybe what I just said (wrote :D ) is inevitable,so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I had previously answered we have the karma mod and I could potentially mod it in future so as to list the amount of karma points (could be positive or negative) that particular post received.

But now I've found this mod: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts/

I don't think we should have both the karma mod and this mod though, it would be overkill. So if we're going for this mod, we will lose all the karma data, unless I manage to import the data somehow.

So what do you guys think? Personally, I'd rather stick with the karma, since it allows for comments too, even though it's a bit more complicated to use.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Re: Official forum changes thread

Postby Aequitas1987 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:52 pm

No please don't do the Thank You mod, I find it fairly annoying and disorganized. I think i saw it at the forzainter forums and I have seen it in other areas and it just kind of breaks up my reading of the thread. I think this karma mod that we have right now is much cleaner, and the private messages encourage users to have individual discussions on particular topics they agree and disagree with as well.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby tflags » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 pm

MUTU wrote:So what do you guys think? Personally, I'd rather stick with the karma, since it allows for comments too, even though it's a bit more complicated to use.

Could I suggest a more complicated ranked response? Going from "Bad Karma" to "Thanks", "Seconded" and finally "KARMA!" Hell of a interactive forum if you ask me.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Slemba » Tue May 17, 2011 1:56 pm

MUTU,

first , thanks for everything you have done for us and for this growing community ... :)

Second , what about a "like" and "dislike" bottom for each comment just like the "karma" one :)
Slemba
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Slemba wrote:MUTU,

first , thanks for everything you have done for us and for this growing community ... :)

Second , what about a "like" and "dislike" bottom for each comment just like the "karma" one :)

Moved this post here.
Thanks for the compliments!

"like" and "dislike" has already been discussed here, and it will remain as is at the moment because it is generally preferred this way, even though I am having second thoughts about it (eg hardly anyone has given negative karma, so perhaps just a "thanks" button would be enough)
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 am

I hate making suggestions but could there be a 'Seconded' One-Click button (that actually sounded really dumb but it is not)... Sort of like 'x number of people liked your post' or 'X number of FCB fans thought your post was a really crappy one" (this post gets a free get out of jail card of course)
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby AvatarX » Fri May 20, 2011 12:09 pm

tflags wrote:this post gets a free get out of jail card of course

Get out of jail card means that you can bash / coach any player you like without anyone interrupting :P

Good idea with the like / dislike button / stats per post.
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby MUTU » Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm

In due time I will implement it, but probably without dislike. It would just be a "thanks" addon. As I said earlier, the karma addon has very rarely been used to hand out negative karma, so there is no need for that. I would then try to import the current karma points into the new addon's table. Not all would be able to be imported because you may give karma to a user from within his profile not necessarily from a specific post, and if so I wouldn't be able to bind the karma to a specific post. But yes I think it's quicker and neater. I had found an addon to do this some time ago, and seeing that the karma addon was abandoned by the developer maybe we should give this a go. Just not so soon, I'm busy...
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

MUTU wrote:As I said earlier, the karma addon has very rarely been used to hand out negative karma

We are too nice too each other to hand out negative karma :P :lol:

I don't know if it's the same for other people, but I don't give out negative karma for one reason. Although the karma is given based on a specific post, it is shown on every post and I don't think you can check for which posts people got karma changes. For this reason, I don't like giving negative karma, because although I may not agree with a certain idea, why should it have an effect on all of that users posts? The whole point of karma is that when others see someone with high karma, they'll know that that person probably makes sense or is quite helpful (although, of course, even someone with 0 karma can make a lot of sense).

Now if it was just a like and dislike button, just for a specific post, I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri May 20, 2011 12:27 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I don't think you can check for which posts people got karma changes

You can. On the right hand side just above the karma buttons you will see the karma counter. That is hyperlinked. Click on it and you will see the karma points that the user received. Then you will see that on the left of the "+1", "+2", "+3" or whatever there is an icon... click on it and you get taken to the particular post.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm

I have thought a lot about this, and finally I have replaced the karma mod with the "thanks for posts" mod.

You will also see some ratings (with stars) for both topics and posts. These can be disabled. I'm not sure if they should though, so I would like your feedback.

PS: there is a bug that doesn't show the "thanks" icons here.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 pm

oh god oh god oh god where can the stars be disabled? Just the worst clutter. :(
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Estonia

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements