You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

New feature: localtime BBCode

Announcements for new BayernForum.com features

Re: New feature: localtime BBCode

Postby AdepT » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 pm

It's very useful.

Obviously one would like to know the local time of the match. I go by our fixture schedule in my phone calendar.
I think I have not encountered any discrepancy when the daylight savings time changes come into place.

I have had to convert the time several times myself earlier when I was not aware of Mar-Oct daylight savings time changes. :oops:

PS : Not that it'd matter or change anything, but since match times are usually displayed in CET or BST, may be we can move from GMT and display CET instead.
Also, please don't remove it. :)
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

I find it very useful, since i live in the US i never have to do the math by myself and its very convenient how even the match-bots have the correct game time displayed for my timezone :mrgreen: =D>
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby MUTU » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 pm

AdepT wrote:PS : Not that it'd matter or change anything, but since match times are usually displayed in CET or BST, may be we can move from GMT and display CET instead.

I didn't understand you. It's a standard to base timezones on GMT (or UTC, another name).
GMT/UTC have no summer time, so in Germany sometimes it'd be GMT+1 (winter) and sometimes it'd be GMT+2.

That's why we're also showing in the time whether it's in CET (Central European Time) or CEST (Central European Summer Time).
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:21 pm

MUTU wrote:
AdepT wrote:PS : Not that it'd matter or change anything, but since match times are usually displayed in CET or BST, may be we can move from GMT and display CET instead.

I didn't understand you. It's a standard to base timezones on GMT (or UTC, another name).
GMT/UTC have no summer time, so in Germany sometimes it'd be GMT+1 (winter) and sometimes it'd be GMT+2.

That's why we're also showing in the time whether it's in CET (Central European Time) or CEST (Central European Summer Time).

It's something I observed on UEFA, FIFA and streaming sites. However, ESPN and Guardian base on GMT.

What matters most is local time which is correct. :D
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:29 am

I still don't understand what you mean, could you kindly rephrase your question?

We are showing two times, the time in CET/CEST (i.e. the time in Germany) AND also the time in your timezone. To make it obvious that it's your OS' timezone, we are expressing it in terms of difference from GMT/UTC which is the way you input it in any OS/system etc.

I don't know what UEFA, FIFA etc do but I've never seen something like CET+1. Is this what you meant?
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 am

I've done some minor changes to localtime. Instead of saying "Est. local time:" it now says "In your timezone:"
Furthermore rather than showing your timezone as the difference from GMT, it uses the word UTC, which is the more correct term and the term used in modern OSes.

Bayern's next match:

Kick off: 
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 am

I had earlier suggested GMT to be may changed to CET on Fixtures page, which now you've changed to UTC.
My suggestion was based on the notion that UEFA and FIFA show times in CET. It was not needed. :oops:

You are, however, correct. :)
Even I've never seen CET+1. It's usually GMT or UTC plus-minus something.
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:22 am

On the fixtures page we don't show the time in CET. BayernForum.com is a step ahead of UEFA, FIFA and all other sites in that it shows you the time in your timezone so you don't have to do the maths yourself. On the match thread though (and wherever there is the localtime BBCode used) we are ALSO showing the time in CET/CEST.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Previous

Return to Site Announcements